Sunday, April 09, 2006

This weekend has been brought to you by the letter W.

Waiting: For mom, who locked her keys in the van. It would have been much easier for us if I hadn't forgotten my spare set of keys in Montreal. However, the upside was learning that riding public transit with my mom can be fun.

Words in Whitby: The purpose of the bus trip, and good times. There was a reception before the main event (David Gilmour and Guy Gavriel Kay interviews/readings) that featured wine and a non-functional chocolate fountain. Don't cry for me though - the chocolate fountain wasn't fountaining because the chocolate was too thick! That's the best kind of problem, since non-functioning = a tiered fondue, which reminds me of that great Mitch Hedberg joke about the escalater being out of service. "An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." HAHAHAHAHA. And RIGHT THERE, that joke made me go to a Hedberg quotes page and I've been reading and laughing for about 5 minutes now. But back to the book thing- It was very good (Mitch Hedberg made me lose my enthusiasm for writing about it though).

Wayson Choy: Unexpectedly, he was at Words in Whitby! I got to meet him, and tell him about how the chocolate fountain wasn't working but was awesome anyways. I talked to him about Megan (he said something along the lines of her being destined for greatness!!), his next book, and bought his most recent one, 'All That Matters.' It now bears the inscription: 'To Jen, who matters." That gets a WOW, and it is now my very favourite book. I also did a gushing fan thing, where I was nervous and blurted out thoughs, and now he knows that I was so drawn into reading 'The Jade Peony' that I read it in the tub till the water was cold and I was shivering. Now you know that too. The whole world knows too much about me!

Nothing else about the weekend starts with W, but Mark and I also celebrated his getting into Teacher's College! A W after all - WOOHOO!

2 comments:

megan said...

oh man, so many awesome things!
That's wicked cool that mark got into teacher's college! Yayyyy, mark! if i see you guys in londonia next week, I will give mark something nice... and most likely alcoholic... or cheese! i'll give him a big old block of cheese. ever since you told me in the van on the way back from montreal that cheese is mark's favourite food (we were filling out a quiz about him, which has since been lost in the whole van fiasco) i always think of him when i eat any cheese-related food.

but yeah, the point of that rant = yay mark!

also, yay for meeting Wayson! isn't he the best dude ever??? And you'd better watch it - pretty soon there'll be a book out that involves some plot of a woman reading in the bath until she was shivering. I remember him specifically saying how important it is to write down interesting/amusing/unusual things that people say around you in order to use them later in books. that means you'll be immortalized by a master! and everyone will be picturing you naked with wrinkly skin!

here's a better picture: chocolate fountain!!! next week after the thesis reading my mom & b & i are going to drink chocolate martinis at some sort of fashion show at my mom's favourite london store, and if you're with us, you can have chocolate martinis too! it will totally make up for fountain breakage.

oh man, i really should turn this comment into an email, since it's ridiculously long for a comment-type thingy. oh well, next time!

Anonymous said...

Where is he going to teacher's college?