Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Frisbee-licious

Phil came in yesterday and asked if I felt like playing some frisbee - his Ultimate team was apparently missing a girl or two, and I had previously mentioned to him that I used to play, and used to like playing. Figuring Mark would be jealous if I got to play some wicked-cool Ultimate and he didn't, I okayed his play too. It turned out that it was a good thing we both went - the addition of Mark meant that our team (the skin-tights) had two full guy lines; with the addtion of me, we had just enough girls to play.

Wow.

I cannot remember the last time I worked so hard physically. Since there were no girl subs, Emily and I had to be on the entire game - all 105 minutes of it. I'm not a runner, but there I was, running up and down the field (and having nice little walk breaks when I got to cover the slow girl). I didn't score any points, but I came close a couple of times, and I think I did a pretty decent job of covering. I almost got my first awake shin cramp. Our team lost, but not by much. I got to recover some honour for us by winning the frisbee-joust round after the game (against the girl who owned me at every other aspect of frisbee). As I said to her, I may not be fast, but I am very good at knocking stuff over.

Mark gave me a pretty awesome back/shin rub, and today I am moving aroung gingerly, but proudly. I can't wait to play again!


Highlights: Making some sweet passes, giving a great first toss, winning the frisbee-joust, and learning how delicious lychee gels are.

Lowlights: Other team's captain twisting her ankle, me thinking it was halftime and going off the field - ok, it's not really a lowlight but it was slightly embarrassing.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Ahhh - how I miss the days of OC intramurals! I never played frisbee with you guys - but I was often there to be your cheerleader! I would have been there last night for you too - but sadly Toronto and Windsor are not 1km away from each other...

sarah said...

I'm impressed... throwing and catching frisbees is really hard work. I can't imagine the emotional and physical toil of doing this while running around and following rules of gameplay. You are my new frisbee hero. It's a tough spot to get into, so count yourself lucky.

Sharon said...

oh Jenny... you're too cute. walking off the field at half time when it's not half time is such a jenny benny thing to do - I love it. At some point I'll be sure to fill you in the chaos of my week - which has been substantial. Hope to see you this weekend!