Thursday, March 09, 2006

Three Cheers for Whimsy!

Last night ended up being pretty awesome - I wasn't looking forward to Pyramid Culture, after Mark's 'meh'ness about them, but we ended up really really loving them, and I found myself wanting to be in their band. I'm sciencey, and hey - they still have some room for blue or yellow!

I'd read on You Ain't No Picasso that for their Lexington show, Of Montreal came onstage without Kevin Barnes and played some organ-y music, only to be joined moments later by their beutiful frontman, who was wearing a wedding dress. Mark and I were talking about that on the way to the show, my thoughts were that it was something that was probbably a one-off thing to spice up a special night but something he wouldn't do every show. Mark Disagreed. He was right.


(I had to lift this photo from someone on stillepost since I forgot the camera like the crazy scatterbrain I am)

Of Montreal were fantastic, like always. I have great respect for anyone who is deleriously happy for prolonged periods of time and shows it off by dancing and grinning and generally being a boost to everyone around them. I guess that's how I sum up the show. Musically, it wasn't quite as good as when I've seen them before (Like, on a report card they'd get an A + rather than an A++), but that may be due to my wierd bout of self consciousness, or the bigger venue, or possibly a mild slowdown in tempo. Whatever it was, I was very happy staying till the end and danced myself silly too. Combined with the sushi dinner and me managing to get at least a little bit of work done, I'd say it was really good night.

No comments: