Tuesday, October 03, 2006

O RLY?

I really don't want to get into this too deeply because it's really upsetting me. I just want to vent a little bit. I've been thinking a lot about personal safety lately, as a woman. Nothing has happened to cause this, it's just been happening. But the gist, basically, is that it really sucks that as women, we have to be more cautious, more "on" in terms of awareness of our surroundings, because of vulnerability. Now, I know this can be remedied somewhat by taking self-defense classes etc, but that can only help so much.

Today's Star:
Page A1: Amish school shooting. 11 young female students bound and shot.
Page A16: Violence against women drops.

I can see why they buried that second one. Honestly, even if the statistics are showing that sort of a trend, does it make anyone actually feel safer? Not me. Generally, I try not to worry too much about this sort of thing. There's no way to see such an event coming, and realistically, it's very unlikely I'll ever directly experience something like it. I'd rather go around normally rather than be on the constant watch for __________ (pick one: terrorists, armed psychopaths, corrupted businesspeople, evil pharma companies, etc). But honestly? when something like this happens, something in me just feels sick. Why is this guy targeting young, innocent girls? I really don't even know where I'm going with this... I guess I just wanted to express a bit of how angry I am that as a woman, I can't feel completely safe, and how I don't really expect we'll ever get to that point.

And of course, my heart goes out to everyone affected by yesterday.

3 comments:

sarah said...

i hear ya. :(

Anonymous said...

i hate that there are things in life that make me hate being a woman.

i'm with you 100%.

Jen said...

Although, it does grow some appreciation for the people in our lifes who have created an atmosphere around us that we feel this is unjust rather than 'just the way it is.'