Thursday, October 12, 2006

Avec... Grandmere?

Now that I'm in my down-time period, I've started taking French classes Two hours a week, nine weeks. Last night was my second class, and we discussed the importance of having a good French-English dictionary.

Mme. Francaise: (In French) you need a good French-English dictionary, with grandmother.

Me: (in head) Whaaaaa???

Me: (2 minutes later, in head, still stuck on the grandmother dictionary untilll... la bulbe de lumiere!) OHHHHH!

Avec grammaire! I, apparently, am more in need of a good translator even more than I originally thought. Ne grandmere PAS!



Aside from feeling very left-behind at times, I'm glad that I signed up for the Intermediate level. I've noticed that I can usually pick up on what's being said, even if I can't yet respond. I think I'd be grumpy if I had to look at picture cards name les chats, les pommes...

I'm feeling very challenged, which is nice, and hopefully, it will really force me into making serious progress.

6 comments:

megan said...

this is probably the best blog photo EVER

Jen said...

Hahaha Thanks Megs - it also shows off my mad-cool photoshop skills!

Nicole! Emailed! And I deleted your comment so that you wouldn't have evil spambots recording your email address.

Paula said...

But it you don't do the beginner class how are you ever going to learn your vandertramp verbs????
Grade nine french - the class where I first met you....but of course grade ten gym is the more memorable class for the beginnings!
Speaking of learning le francais, a certain male individual who I have been speaking more with as of late also wishes to learn french - maybe you guys will start a trend!

Jen said...

I don't remember Vandertramp verbs... that's ok though. I barely remember names for English grammatical things! I just want to be able to speak/understand.


A language learning trend is the best sort of trend, I think.

sarah said...

that's the cutest story ever. I love it when real life creates those perfect punchlines. :)

Sharon said...

I was just about to lodge a complaint about how few comments you've posted on my blog lately, and then I realized I better check and see if I've been equally lacking - and well... I suck. So I should tell you - I laughed my head off with this post, and shared with more than a couple of folks. It's fabulously Jen.