Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Dwall

n. A state somewhere in between wakefullness and sleep



I learned this word (apparently it's from Newfoundland, although it may be made-up) while reading The Colony of unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston. I really liked it - I felt as if I was learning (it's a fictional take on the life of Joe Smallwood, first premier of Nfld.) but at the same time, got the fiction fix that I love too. Back to Dwall... I finished the book last night, staying up a bit later so that I wouldn't have 20 or so pages nagging at me. Well, I Dwalled the whole night through. I felt like I was awake, but knew that I wasn't really, and it was pretty much like that until my alarm went off. It wasn't one of those frustrating bouts of insomnia, it was just a feeling that my mind was too active to completely rest. I guess that means that the book was good.

Also, Mark and I figured my description of the book was accurate, so I wrote it as a quote on the cover and now I feel famous.

A very Canadian-literary-prize sort of book." -Jennifer R... (I have a wierd paranoia about posting my full name on the internet...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was this a library book? Surely you're not defacing public property. And yet, it is in the name of art...

Anonymous said...

Yea, im not sure about posting my full name either....

Jen said...

jason - irony? i'm hoping so (I'm also gullible, which is why i have to ask).