Tuesday, June 12, 2007

For Bookish People

I just got an email from McSweeney's, which is my favourite publisher due to it's consistently awesome releases (their Quarterly, The Believer magazine, as well as some swell books). Apparently they're having some tough times due to losing about 130K when their distributor folded:

"As you may know, it's been tough going for many independent publishers, McSweeney's included, since our distributor filed for bankruptcy last December 29. We lost about $130,000 -- actual earnings that were simply erased. Due to the intricacies of the settlement, the real hurt didn't hit right away, but it's hitting now. Like most small publishers, our business is basically a break-even proposition in the best of times, so there's really no way to absorb a loss that big."

I don't usually get advertisey, but I seriously love this publisher and a) think more poeple should know about them, and b) would be sad if they went under. Anyway, since it's summer, and most people like to get summer reads, maybe you'll order them from McSweeney's? I highly recommend The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian (except that it appears to be out of stock so maybe you're interested in The Secret Language of Sleep instead?) and Mark highly recommends What is the What by Dave Eggers.

PS - I'm done Chemistry! Physics ho!

3 comments:

sarah said...

I'm not very bookish...

However, I was thinking about 'jenistranslucent' today... I always thought it was meant to mean something deep about your state of mind... But I was going through some old pictures and found some from when we went to the beach and there is one of you in a bikini at the beginning of the summer and you look quite pale. REALLY HOT! but yeah, fair-skinned. And it's like you to be very cute and a little self-depracating at the same time (clumsy). Does your name work on multiple levels or am I crossing lines here? Thinking too hard about it.

Hmm... feel free to delete this post Jen. ha. I'm just thinking outloud.

Jen said...

Someone (who I'd had a crush on!) told me that I was so pale that I was pretty much translucent. It was an observation - I don't think it was meant as a compliment or an insult, but it's stuck with me.

I do think it works on a few levels. It's kinda how I approach writing here too - I try to be honest and true to myself without being too revealing, but I do have to guard what I say somewhat. I'm pretty open about myself ('maybe not to transparent' levels?), but it is a bit of a self-deprecating jab at how pale I am too.

Also, thanks for calling me hot ;)

All in all, good comment! I give it 5 Gael Garcia Bernals out of Five.

sarah said...

Yeah, so I was right! And yeah, I totally see the levels. Good one! Thirdly, yeah you're hot, doi! :)