Sunday, May 06, 2007

We're going to Europe!

I guess it's hard to top a post about experiencing near zero-gravity.

The last week has been insanely busy, what with moving out of the love apartment (including the house-cooling party), visits from Paula and Megan, hoboing around Toronto, travelling to/from Whitby, working, and going to shows (two today, and Casiotone for the Painfully Alone on Friday). Also, Mark and I booked out tickets to Europe!! We'll be flying into Glasgow (so exciting!) spending a few days there, and then heading to Krakow where our Polish adventure will begin. Maybe we will come back from our trip cultured and polished?

(yes I know that was a terrible joke)

Things deserving more detail: Leaving the love apartment. We had a really great last weekend there - the housecooling was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the camping feel of the last few nights. By the end, all that remained were candles, records, and blankets, and the simplicity was beautiful. On Monday, I cleaned that place SO well, partly because I loved living there and partly because I really liked the supers and didn't want to leave them with a lot of work. Taking a last look before closing the door on that space was pretty sad, but Mark took me out for a lovely sushi dinner and reconvinced me that our trip will make it all worthwhile.

Megan-visit! Megan came with me to Whitby for my first night back at home to make the transition a little bit easier. We met up in Toronto and had some Vegetarian Haven with Bronwyn and Maya (Bronwyn's friend/roomate) and then walked down to the Go Train and took it back home. It was awesome to have some good girl talk, sleepover styles. We made some strawberry rhubarb crumble pie, and went and picked up crazy Mark so that he wouldn't have to walk 10K to my house.

Hopefully, I'll write a bit more this week and post some pictures. Now, Mark and I are headed downtown for some Mount Eerie and some PB&J (that would be Peter Bjorn & John).

Edited to add:

Fun with Sharon: We had dinner a bunch of times and painted our nails in the sun on her porch and had wonderful chats AND THEN SHE DITCHED ME TWO HOURS BEFORE THE PETER BJORN AND JOHN SHOW and I had to sell her ticket. But seriously, we've had fun.

6 comments:

yellow_mustard_girl said...

Poland?! I'm Polish!! Please return with many pictures. I want to see what my native brethern look like. (and if I am accurately blaming my retinal-searing pastiness on the right ancestry)

And your description of an apartment with only candles and records? Um, that is like my ideal place. Wouldn't it be fantastic to live like that for an extended period of time? I could never do it because I tend to adhere strongly to the law of entropy. But still...cool!

Unknown said...

Sounds very exciting. Make sure you see Edinburgh and hit at least one distillery ;)
PS Sorry about missing the par-tay. It's been an insane couple of weeks. I'm sure we missed an awesome party!

Jen said...

YMG: I will be taking TONS of pictures! Mark's parents emigrated from Poland just before he was born, so we're going to go see all of his relatives and spend many weeks there! As for pastiness, I'm far paler (English Irish Scottish heritage) than his family!

Deborah: I probably won't get to see Edinburgh, we'r eonly in scotland for a couple days and we don't want to stretch ourselves too thin.

Sharon said...

Wow -- you've been doing some really amazing fun stuff... too bad I wasn't around for any of it -- Oh wait.. wasn't I? Jerk.... as if nothing you did with me was blog-worthy. Booooooo Jen. Bailing on my birthday and doesn't even notice when we do fun things.

Sharon said...

Ok well if you're going to crap on me for bailing - you have to crap on someone else too!

Anonymous said...

As a completely random comment... there's some commercial that uses an Of Montreal song. So random!!!