Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Sales Pitch

Not sure if I've mentioned it here or not... but... I'M GOING TO AFRICA!!!! After hanging out in Poland with Mark's family (we're heading over there on June 24th! Flights are booked!) I'll be going to Accra (the capital of Ghana) for 7 weeks! I've volunteered with Unite for Sight, an international non-governmental organization that aims to cure blindness and provide eye care to people who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford it. I'm going to be conducting visual screening tests, and getting glasses for people who need them, or referring people for (free!) eye surgery if they need it. I'm so excited - after spending three years at the Centre for Vision Research, I'm finally going to be able to put the knowledge into action.

Ok, now this is the part where I ask for your help. I've committed to fundraising at least $1400. This is in addition to paying for my accommodations and airfare - that part has already come out of my pocket. The money is going directly to Unite for Sight and will pay for eye surgeries (mostly cataract surgery). Each surgery costs $50, so I (WE???) will be restoring vision to at least 28 people! I would be so grateful if you would be able to help me out, even if its just a couple dollars or what you would normally spend on a coffee! I promise that I, and definitely the people who have their vision restored, will be endlessly grateful to you.

I've created a fundraising page that you can check out. It allows paypal donations, and also has the address for sending cheques if you'd prefer to donate that way. I can also forward any cheques to Unite for Sight directly.

Click HERE to sponsor me!


Any fundraising ideas would also be greatly appreciated :) Let me know if you have any questions!

1 comment:

yellow_mustard_girl said...

Gah. Mahk. Blazalldajjfoeo03078408)&##)*.

That is me, rendered speechless. You are like the coolest person I know but have never met in person or spoke to or even seen from a far distance.

Ok, I think even if I was extremely familiar with your face, you'd still be in the top 5.

I think the Unite fo Sight program is incredible. I will be happy to sponsor :D