Thursday, April 19, 2007

Somebody is trusting me with a hammer.

Tomorrow I'm going to be building a house in Scarborough with Habitat for Humanity. I'm kinda excited about this, it's definitely going to be an experience! I'm going to try really hard to not drop anything on myself ;) Anyways, I wasn't planning on talking about it on here, but a phone call changed my mind. I was asking my nana if she wanted to sponsor me, and as always, there were some hilarious results.

Some background: As a child, I was never allowed to carry my suitcase when I was traveling with my grandparents. My protesting that I was perfectly capable of carrying a suitcase led to this quote that is now entrenched in historical infamy: Put that down, you'll hurt your INNARDS. My innards. This quote has been tossed around in my family ever since! So, tonight on the phone, when my nana found out that yes, I would be building the house myself (not just fundraising), I promised her that I wouldn't hurt my innards. I then heard the rest of the story: according to nana, I have some sort of great aunt who allegedly hurt her innards by lifting something, and ended up with a tilted uterus. According to wikipedia, this is an actual condition (but, a condition that affects 20-30% of women). I promised that I would try not to tilt my uterus.

I'll wrap this up with the second gem from the call. My nana, still incredulous that I would be building something (me, who has TWO toolboxes, and uses them), asked me if I had ever nailed anything in my life.

I had to pretend to be rude and say that I was laughing at something on tv.

I love my nana.

4 comments:

megan said...

I will sponsor you! Put me down on your list.

And yeah, try to keep your uterus upright. The world needs more Jens!

Paula said...

I have always wants to help build a house and am hopeful that through such organizations as HFH I will get the opportunity... indivduals in my family do own their own construction companies and build houses for a living so I could join them too - but I like the idea behind HFH.
But I will admit Jen - I have known you for a while... and I have even lived with you for four years....you aren't clumsyjen for no reason (clearly due to horseback riding!)...so please try not to tilt your uterus...don't drop things, don't walk into things and please try not to trip and fall!!

Sharon said...

If it makes you feel any better -- I'm one of the 20-30% - my tilted uterus was still quite capable of bringing my son into the world, so not to worry if your innards move about this way or that -- you'll still have little clumsyjens or clumsymarks around to cause chaos.

And my grandma so uses that word too, but my admonition typically came when I was wrestling with the boys, or weight lifting, not suitcases.

yellow_mustard_girl said...

Phew, just read like, 3 months worth of posts in one sitting. I am not a stalker :) Just woefully behind on good blogs.

LOVE habitat for humanity and big ups for having TWO tool boxes! You should see the look my dad gives me when I pick up a tool. Kind of like, the way you would at a child that has just picked up a pack of matches. While sitting in a puddle of gasoline.

GIRLS CAN USE TOOLS TOO DAD!


P.S. Poland!? Cool!!