Tuesday, September 20, 2005

so good, but unquoteable

Today is unproductive. I've accepted it, and I'm going with it. Instead of reading Ch. 1 of the required reading for my insanely frustrating History of Psychology class, I'm going to write about some music. Specifically, Sigur Ros. (But I may rant *just a little* about the logic of assigning a poorly written text to a largely waste of time course that I'm required to take even though it will barely graze upon topics relevant to my field. Said text was written by the course instructer - I cry foul).

Moving on.

Mark surprised me on sunday with tickets to yesterday's Sigur Ros show at Massey Hall. We both have reservations about paying so much ($50) for concert tickets - we rarely need to shell out more than $10-$15 for the shows we want to see - but there's a bit of legend surrounding a show by Sigur Ros. Most people that have gone to see them in the past have reported life-altering beauty, or at least something that makes them seem a bit.. umm.. floaty... for a few days afterwards. So Mark got the tickets.

We didn't leave the show feeling floaty. It was really really good anyways. If not floaty, I at least felt a little bit moved. It was an excellent show. As far as I can tell, $35 extra for a ticket gets you a cushy seat in a beautiful venue, and the band gets to fly in from Iceland and bring some fancy light show materials with them (really, a projector and a big curtain...). They also get to bring a wonderful opening band/backing string section (Amina) with them that adds depth. Here's a picture:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jen - at the bottom of your blog it says "all we have to do is be brave, and be kind."
is this your own quote?
it's brilliant. i really, really love it.

i was gonna get tickets to sigur ros over the summer, but couldn't bring myself to pay the money. maybe next time...

Anonymous said...

that post wasn't pretentious at all. it was better than the pitchforkers.