Monday, July 16, 2007

Dzien Dobry!

Wow - loads of internet access here in Slupsk!! I'm trying to upload some photos now, if it works then I'll share them here or post a link :)

As with pretty much every trip that I go on, I leave updating until I've done so much that it's overwhelming to think of putting it all down. I think that the last time I wrote, I was in Krakow. Since then, Mark and I have been to Zakopane (in the South of Poland), on a farm near Wroclaw (aka Breslau) - with massive food poisoning from an ill-conceived idea to eat kebab from the basement of a train station, in Gdansk and many surrounding areas, and now in Slupsk.

Gdansk was really, really nice - mostly because Mark's family there was amazing. We spent almost the entire week with his cousin Bozena's daughter Weronika, who was our faithful guide and co-mischief-maker. We managed to see (I think) everyone on Mark's dad's side there, which was no small feat. A lot of time was spent on the coast of the Baltic Sea - testing the water, swimming a little, a lot of walking, and some amber-hunting (I found some!!) We also toured around the Stare Miastro (old town) where we snuck onto the roof of the famous 'Golden Gate' and had a beautiful, exclusive view of Gdansk's most famous street.

As for family, wow. We spent one day with Mark's cousin Ella's family, where we got to celebrate the double birthday of her son and daughter. While we were there we also went to see Stuthoff concentration camp, which was just a few minutes away. We spent a day on Mark's uncle Stachu's (sp?) farm, where we picked raspberries (Maliny) and cherries (Wisnie) that I turned into a crisp for the aunt and uncle that we stayed with. Bozena and family took Mark and I to see Malbork - a famous castle about two hours from Gdansk that dates back to the 1200s. It had been destroyed completely during the war, but was restored in the following years. I'm feling a bit of old, beautiful building overload, but I'm going to soldier on because I know I have many, many more to see! After the castle, we went to a rented cabin on a lake, where we swam, kayaked and grilled kielbasa to our hearts content. Mark's aunt and uncle were wonderful - I will probably be full until Africa from all of the amazing food that his aunt made for us. Most of it was made from fruits and veggies from their garden and the farm! They also gave us some wonderful gifts - to Mark, a ring, and to me, an ambernecklace. I was blown away. And completely rivalling Rafa's grandmother for 'most adorable woman ever' was Makr's babcja Kowgier. From when she held my hand the whole way home from the train station the first day that we met, to the goobye hug today, I felt nothing but love from her. Awww... I miss her so much already!! It was so sad to leave them today, but we were looking forward to meeting Mark's mom's side of the family which made it a bit easier.

Slupsk, whie a bit more low-key, has been so nice. We've sat and talked (as best as we can with Mark's pretty good Polish, and my terrible Polish), ate, and went to their garden. They are so nice and I'm really looking forward to spending this week with them. Tomorrow, Mark and I are going to go to a beach, and possibly again on Wednesday. After a lot of rain during the first week in Gdansk, the weather has turned absolutely beautiful.

Ok, so if all goes well, I'll put up some pictures tomorrow. I'm off to bed now, and I'm sorry if there are too many spelling/grammar mistakes. I think the Polish spell check won't be of much use and I'm too tired to proofread :)

Love,Jen

3 comments:

Paula said...

I'm so glad that you guys are havign a wonderful time --- the food poisoning part sucks though.
I miss you terribly and I'm unsure if I can bear you finishing your entire trip away!!!!!!
Keep having fun and keep staying safe.
Love you!
Paula

sarah said...

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering how you were doing over there in Poland!! It sounds amazing (despite the minor setbacks you describe)! I am excited for pictures as well! I hope you can post them soon.

The only other thing I can't help saying is that the name of cities you mention to me are like when you stick your tongue out and blow. You know, like "pfffbt!"... Lots of oddly placed vowels. I dont think I will remember them until you say them out loud to me. I'm the absolute worst at languages and ignorant.

That's the end of my post. I am so glad you guys are having so much fun and good times in POLAND!

megan said...

Tycho wants to know, are there any cats in Poland?