Thursday, June 23, 2005

So after seeing Nicole & Kevin's blogs, I decided "hey, why not?" - so here it is. This is in addition to my livejournal, my myspace account, my audioscrobbler... the newest in a line of neat little ways to make your existence known on the internet. It all really comes down to my always being willing to add another form of procrastination to my day. I'll try to make this one a little different from the rest of it.

Here are some things that I'm enjoying these days:

-The Photo Album - Death Cab for Cutie: I had this album a few years ago, but it had been lost for almost as long. I saw it for $15 at HMV the other day so I decided to replace it... so good. It's not really a summer album, but I think that may even be part of the reason that I'm enjoying it so much. Walking around in 28˚ heat and singing along to "I put on my overcoat, and walked into winter/my teeth chattered rhythms" or "I don't mind the weather/I've got scarves and caps and sweaters" makes me feel a little bit of crazy and a whole lot of happy.

-Looking forward to the weekend: Megan and Jan are visiting from London (ON), which means a huge party on Toronto Island (Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene, Metric and Do Make Say Think), Thai food at the best Thai place I've foud so far, and either sailing or spending some of my tax return on very fun things. I haven't decided what sort of fun things yet....

-The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji: For someone who knows very little hstory about Africa, it manages to be very eye-opening and enthralling. It's about the life of an Indian who grows up in Africa, and though I haven't gotten to this part yet, becomes one of the most despised people to come out of the independence movement. So far its all been a very sweet story of childhood friends & loves.

-Having some sense of accomplishment about my thesis. Finally.

And some things that have been bothering me:

-A TV weight loss ad targeting teenage girls: "I lost 60 lbs over summer vacation, and my life was so wonderful the next year. I even became valedictorian." Thanks TV, thats wonderful.

-The man sitting beside me in a waiting room yesterday, trying to get me to join in on his gay-bashing. And the news show that was playing at the same time, which was trying to celebrate Pride Week and the Liberals attempt to allow gay marriage - they had people call in and voice their opinions. All of these calls, except were the first, were so misinformed and homophobic (all puffing up the guy beside me, of course). The best argument against gay marriage? It's unnatural. Because marriage is supposed to be for procreation. But wait? what about old people getting married? Or infertile people? Of COURSE thats ok, as its a man and a woman. Letting two other people be joined in marriage really doesn't affect anyone else - nobody is forcing religions to change their rules. I really hope that people start to get a little bit more accepting soon.

No comments: