Monday, June 27, 2005

Fantastic weekend recap!!

Friday night: mark and I go visit my grandfather, and then walk around the college/bathurst area till our feet are killing us. We also managed to pick up some Sufjan tickets, since ticketmaster was closed when I tried at school - hooray! I can't believe this means that I'm making Sptember plans already...

Saturday! Meet Megs and Jan at the Apple store in Yorkdale, just in time to witness the purchase of a beautiful new computer & various other fancy apple stuff. Which leads to setting up the computerwith the help of yummy cosmos. And walking down Church street and seeing many very interesting sights, and lots of boobs (of the fleshy kind, thankfully there were none of of the jackass kind around). Then Thai food, and the deadly white russians, and Basia's sold out show at the C'est What?!
Note to bouncers: please please don't get upset at performers who've sold out your venue because they've also strained your capacity. It's not their job to enforce fire regulations. I can't beleive the nerve of the bouncer and owner who were yelling at Basia before she took the stage because there were too many people in the club. It was an awesome show anyways, and I ran into so many people that I haven't seen since I was at Western!
Something I'm very excited about: Alt passed me a cd of what I assume has some videos recorded at a show - to repay me for passing one to him of the Arcade fire a year and a half ago. I'm really really excited - maybe this will be the next superband?

Sunday! White russians carry out full-scale seige of my stomach from 5:11 am till 7:20 am - is this the end of my olympic island day?! Of course not! Stomach pulls itself together, and except for one slip-up, is valiant and strong for the rest of the day! I <3 my stomach. The island was amazing in every way - beautiful weather for strolling the boardwalk, odd strawberry-eating chains, lying beneath trees and on beaches, and nice cold wading pools to soothe my aching feet. All this and a mind-blowing concert to boot! I finally got to see Do Make Say Think, which is really really nice music to lie under a tree to. Metric was amazing, and had Megan and I dancing up a storm. Broken social scene made me wonder why they weren't headlining - I can't believe how good they were. I dont know what I was expecting, but it was the first time I'd seen them in 3 years and for some reason, I wasn't expecting awesomeness. When they bring their ladies (Feist, Amy Millan of Stars, and Emily Haines of Metric) out, they're completely unstoppable.
Last up: Modest Mouse. I saw them last summer at the Kool Haus, where they put on an OK - but somewhat lacking- show. This time, they were so energetic and played lots of my favourites - they even started the show with paper thin walls and did an extended dance mix of Tiny Cities Made of Ashes (which had me dancing extendedly ;). I left partway through, cause I'm a loser and chose sleep over encore, and missed them play Custom Concerns, a song I love so much I named my livejournal after it. That show was very worthy of the sky-high ticket prices that I didn't even have to pay (thank you mark, thank you thank you thank you).

Thanks also to M + J for making it a very wonderful weekend :)

No comments: